How can we improve the NC entrepreneurial ecosystem?

Entrepreneurial Governing Body

North Carolina is a great place to be an entrepreneur. There are a slew of fantastic organizations dedicated to helping everyone from the college student with an idea, to an established professional looking to capitalize on a recent discovery. I think having a very informal governing body could go a long way. A few have tried this, though their organizations are not solely focused on this. This would enable an improved calendar of events that would be coordinated in an intelligent way rather than have nights with competing events. Additionally, it would act as the hub for information for finding out about events.

I believe this would be useful and would not require a lot of work!

142 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Scott Bissinger shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • George Junginger commented  · 

Count me in as being opposed to a governing body of any sort. (then someone can tell me, "You didn't build that" and it would be true.) I think what you mean is an association, like a 501(c)6.

As mentioned CED and ExitEvent have calendars. But what about someone who comes up with a new idea for a meetup? A new educational talk related to the field? I want to strongly encourage people to do this, to create these. So, maybe some sort of curated wiki or website? Then 3 or 4 people could volunteer every quarter to keep it updated and keep their finger on the pulse of the community for new ideas.

• Aaron Gerry commented  · 

+1 Aaron, Jason and Jay.

My main question is, what are the problems we are trying to solve? In this regard, is the issue awareness? Cooperation?

I second Jason's point in that CED already has a comprehensive calendar that features a thorough list of events (outside of CED). It may not be perfect (what is?), but it's a pretty good start.

Perhaps an alternative would be bringing light to who the main event organizers are, and to simply coordinate with them during the planning process?

I haven't personally noticed many conflicting events, but at this point, I agree that it would be silly to have conflicting events, especially when the volume of events is relatively low.

• Jason H. Parker commented  · 

The team at CED carries a comprehensive event calendar for entrepreneurs and those interested in entrepreneurship. The submission process is simple, but I wonder if there is a way to be able to automatically pull events from other event calendars?

A variety of organizations send weekly emails with key events occurring that week/month, as well.

As far as the other items go, a "governing body" may not be the right term, however, there are a consortium of organizations that currently do work together. CED works with many partners and informally does work on helping address key issues in the entrepreneurial community.

I believe the key 'need' here is just better communication between partnering organizations and the entrepreneurs we serve.

-->Comments my own

• Justin Alexander commented  · 

I completely agree with this idea and our startup in Charlotte is working on part of this issue. We just launched our beta at Senkd.com and are currently moving in this direction!

• Jay Radford commented  · 

+1 Aaron Averill.

Part of the reason I became an entrepreneur is to STOP being governed!

But 'ONE CALENDAR TO RULE THEM ALL' does seem smart. I'm not a developer, but if there is value to the idea; seems like something that could be accomplished with some xml consumption & presentation.

4 geeks started Digg, ya know... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digg#History)

• Aaron Averill commented  · 

"What Deadwood needs is more Federales!"

In all seriousness... the idea of a "government body" seems a bit opposite of the entrepreneurial spirit.

Maybe the bigger question is: If this is a need (with 120+ votes), why hasn't the local entrepreneur free market solved the problem of One Event Calendar to Rule Them All?

• Leslie Scott commented  · 

This is a very important idea -- and let's build on the public and nonprofit collaborations already underway. In particular we need to continue to get more high-profile NC-based entrepreneurs of all ages and races involved in making the ecosystem better and go deeper. Startup NC could be good opportunity to connect up what we have that's working well.

Unlike many states North Carolina already has a statewide alliance of all the entrepreneurship and small business oriented organizations, as well as an informal network of public and private university entrepreneurship centers. The entrepreneurship and innovation alliance has a mantra of "no wrong door" for entrepreneurs at any stage in the state. Also unlike many states, NC has a call center for any requirements-related business question (see www.blnc.gov), a small business ombudsman for regulatory troubleshooting, a commissioner for small business who can be a policy link, and a statewide summit coming up on September 24-25 in Asheville. See www.ncentresummit.org and register now.

We do not need to create a new organization in North Carolina. We need more meaningful engagement of growth entrepreneurs in various industries with the quasi-public and service provider network that is already collaborating statewide and working towards similar business and economic development goals as the entrepreneurs are. Government often falls short in marketing but we actually have a lot in place in NC that is the envy of other states. It would be great to get the word out better to entrepreneurs, and to improve from where we are, which is thankfully not square one or even five anymore. I look forward more more discussion.

Ms. Leslie Scott, entrepreneurship director N.C. Rural Center

• Anthony Pompliano commented  · 

Good idea Scott. My only concern with this idea is that the time, effort and resources expended to accomplish it might not be worth it. Instead utilizing established organizations (ExitEvent does great job) to inform people would be more efficient?

Just my thoughts. Would love to hear any response, conversation is always good!

Feedback and Knowledge Base