How can we improve the NC entrepreneurial ecosystem?

Video Roundtable w/NC Entrepreneurs

There are numerous Startup success stories in NC from SAS to iContact to Alphanumeric Systems and everything in between. While Silicon Valley has done a great job making rockstar mentors out of their success stories, highlighting them in magazines, in video interviews, and on talk radio, NC has yet to bridge this media gap and promote our entrepreneurial success stories in a way that future generations of visionaries can really latch onto, learn from, and follow.

In order to solve this, I'd like to host a bi-monthy luncheon with successful entrepreneurs and investors, videotape these discussions, and make them available online and through local cable channels. Think 'Dinner for Five' for the NC entrepreneurial community.

Who knows? - Maybe instead of NC consistently being labeled the 'next Silicon Valley', we can inspire a more national respect for our entrepreneurs - one in which other communities across the USA begin being dubbed 'the next NC.'

114 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    JennJenn shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • George JungingerGeorge Junginger commented  · 

I agree with Jay. Slice and dice content into bite size pieces. In any conversation there is an ebb and flow, a natural changing of subjects. I'd like the whole interview available, and then cut into smaller segments (ie - what was Jim Goodnight's childhood like, what was Ryan Allis' biggest failure, the aha! moment, etc. etc.)

• Jason H. ParkerJason H. Parker commented  · 

Like the idea, Jenn. Perhaps we could do a better job producing/distributing content from events that already exist. Anthony is doing some neat interviews on Tripreneur - perhaps better/more informed content in a central location would address this need.

John - there are a variety of initiatives that already help match companies to qualified mentors. Probably don't have to re-invent the wheel on that one. As with a previous comment on a different thread, perhaps the issue is just a matter of communicating the available resources to entrepreneurs.

• John ParkerJohn Parker commented  · 

I think this is a good 21st century twist to leverage mentors and mentoring. What if this idea is combined with a mentor matchmaking service via Micromentor <http://www.micromentor.org/> and face-to-face networking & mentoring?

• Jay RadfordJay Radford commented  · 

One important aspect for time-starved entrepreneurs & solopreneurs is the indexing / granularity, searchability of your content. People want to know what they're going to get before dedicating 30 minutes to a podcast or other content.

• Anthony PomplianoAnthony Pompliano commented  · 

Solid idea Jenn! Check out TripreneurTV.com for something similar. One person at a time but idea is to showcase the amazingly cool people we have in Triangle. Maybe we need to dream bigger and include all of NC?!

Feedback and Knowledge Base